Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Juicing


Honestly, the first half of this trip has been a blast. The kids are amazing; they really want to learn. The experience of planning the lessons each day has given me a newfound respect for my own teachers now that I’ve been on the receiving end of all the hard work as well as many a whiny child. But the best thing I’ve learned is the fact that human connection and relationships are the most important thing you can accomplish when attempting to teach solely in a language that your students don’t understand. Though it would have been easy to get my message across in Spanish, being confined to using only English in the classroom has taught me the other ways I can communicate with others, regardless of the language we speak. The other thing that has already exceeded my high expectations is the FOOD. Every single meal has been delicious, and I greatly look forward to them during our long walks between each of the places we go. Just in these past four days I have had so much delicious food that I don’t know how the chefs are going to be able to keep up the variety. Outreach 360 was also generous enough to point out the restaurants and shops that serve food safe for us to eat. I have been a frequent customer of “The Juice Lady” these last few days. I went two times today and had to force myself to not stop for a third time just now as I was returning home from a walk around town. I really need to curb my addiction to freshly squeezed mango-passion fruit juice. In order to do this, I have allocated a grand total of 150 more pesos (50 will get me one juice) to spend at this divine establishment, and I am determined to make it last the rest of the week. I really hope I am able to stick to this plan, or I will be broke within a few days.


Wish me luck!

Ella

The Monte Cristi version of a juice bar

The group stops to juice up before our 4:30-6:00 pm teaching shift begins


Chize prepares to teach from Kat's detailed illustrations


Maaso teaches Spanish literacy skills in his balcony "classroom"